Tuesday 7 July 2015

Some History, and a Week of Firsts

Champagne Thursday, how do we even begin? Other than perhaps at the beginning. 

I saw it in a movie, and wanting desperately to be Zooey Deschanel, tried to implement it. Unfortunately, I worked as a ski instructor, and as anyone in that line of work can tell you, it's not about the money. I was broke, my friends were broke, and my sad attempt at Champagne Thursday fell flat on its poor, bubbly little face. 

Three years later, I met and started dating Shane. He was amazing and eager to please, and so, I mentioned how my previous attempt had never taken off. We were both keen to start something together, and so committed to it. Every Thursday, regardless of where we were, would be Champagne Thursday. It started out as a chance to pretend to be fancy each week, while trying new (to us) sparkling wines. 

It has evolved into something more. It is now a chance for us to relax, take a breath, and enjoy each other's company. There are the odd drop-in visitors for Champagne Thursday, but more often than not, it's just us two. Our tastes have changed, starting with the very sweet sparkles, we've moved onto the drier wines. Our palates have changed (or at least, we think they have), trying to taste different essences and get the various flavours from the different drinks. 

After 4 years of dating (and 4 years of Champagne Thursdays), Shane and I got married on June 27th (maybe a post for another day), and so when a friend mentioned again that I should start a blog about our Thursday experiences, Shane and I decided that if we're going to do it, we should start with our first Champagne Thursday as a married couple. 

Although this post is a touch late, I'm doing it anyways, because if I don't start now, I never will. And although only I would know that I missed my chance, I would know I missed my chance. 

Thursday, July 2, 2015
This week is full of firsts for Shane and I. The first trip to Perth (Ontario) as a married couple. The first visit with friends as a married couple, the first day at work as a married couple, and it goes on and on. Nothing's changed, and yet everything has changed. 

We received a few LCBO gift cards for our birthdays, and decided that this Champagne Thursday, our first as a married couple, we should use the cards and splurge and get something we may not otherwise have got. 

We are both a little tight-fisted when it comes to money, so we couldn't get too crazy (it would have hurt our souls too much), but we settled on a fancy-for-us bottle of Louis Roederer, Brut Premier. It came in a beautiful box (which was new, nothing else we had ever gotten came in a box!), all sparkles and shiny. 


Our Puppy Tyson LOVES chewing on the corks!

To our untrained noses, it had a scent of fresh baked bread, which sounds stranger than it actually was. It was light and fragrant. The first few sips were very tart (only 12g/L of sugar), and a touch dry (in a good way as it was very easy to drink). The tartness diminished after a few more sips. There was no lingering after-taste, which we liked for this bottle. It was a very predictable bubbly. 

After a glass or so of the bottle not being returned to the fridge, the tartness mellowed into a relatively sweeter taste. 

Tyson, our 5 year old Boxer x German Shepherd, loved the cork, although he was still tired from the week's activities so it didn't get as chewed up as it has in the past. Don't worry, he doesn't eat them, just tears them apart and makes a big ol' mess. 

Verdict: Would definitely buy again if we can afford to be fancy pants :)

~S

  • Brand: Louis Roederer
  • Type of Wine: Unknown (not listed on bottle)
  • Sweetness: 12g/L
  • Price: $69.95
  • Tasting notes: tart, bready fragrance, would pair well with just about anything. 



No comments:

Post a Comment