Friday 16 December 2016

Let the festivities begin!

What a festive week is has been. We started off by getting the kids for a few hours and cutting down our Christmas tree and decorating it; obviously while enjoying some eggnog. My folks came over, and seemed to enjoy the festive spirit. 
The before and after of our lil' tree


Sunday Shane and I went to Merrickville for our 6th Annual Christmas Shopping Extravaganza (self titled). Six years. Wow. That was a great day, and certainly kicked off the Christmas shopping. Well worth the drive in the blizzard.  It was nice to finally feel like we'd taken a chunk out of the shopping, and it relieved the pressure a bit. Don't get me wrong, I still have a lot to do, but at least I got started... 

The rest of the week was low key, but nice. The weather has been cold though, which is less nice. I love winter, but -25C is a little much. We can have a nice winter around -10C if you ask me. Tyson has been enjoying the snuggles by the fire though, so that's an upside of cold weather. 

December 15, 2016

This week we went for a fancy-looking bottle. Not quite sure how I'm going to get the "label" into my book but I'll figure something out... 

So this was Segura Viudas's Brut Reserva Heredad Cava. The bottle was super fancy with a metal emblem and base stuck on it. We have had a bottle of Segura before. That one certainly didn't feel this fancy, but was very tasty. Also note-worthy, the Segura Viudas brand falls under the giant umbrella of the Freixenet S.A. brand, of which we've had many many types (herehere, and -unfortunately- here)

Shane didn't get much on popping the top. In the glass, I thought it smelled of something very distinct and familiar, but I couldn't identify what it was. Shane couldn't either. So we were at a loss. Now, something to keep in mind, is this bottle was super cold. It had been in the freezer chilling, but also our living room was cold, so it didn't really get a chance to warm up after opening. 

It had a nice mouth feel, lots of sharp, crisp bubbles. It was okay overall, predictable, but boring. It was wine-y, with hints of white grape (which I think is different than winey...). We do have a special review this week from Tyson, who was enjoying licking it off our fingers. He seemed to think it had hints of salted, cured meats, but we think maybe that was because we had just eaten a prosciutto platter... but who knows... 

Near the end I thought it had a bit of a liquory after taste, but Shane wrote down liquorice... not sure if that's because he tasted liquorice, or if it's just what he thought I said... 

So I guess no, we wouldn't get this again. It wasn't worth the extra money for the fancy bottle. If you want this brand, try their regular brut cava.

~S

  • Brand: Segura Viudas
  • Type of Grape: Not mentioned
  • Sweetness: 8g/L
  • Price: $29.95
  • Tasting Notes:  Mild flavoured bubbly, winey and grapey. Would go nicely with food with mild flavours so it isn't overtaken, like a fruit tray. 



No comments:

Post a Comment