Friday 30 September 2016

Our bags are packed and we're ready to go!

What a flurry of a week it has been! Partly (okay, entirely) our own fault. In a mead soaked evening (thanks Tallgrass Mead! ), Shane and I decided that we absolutely needed to visit our friends who had just moved to Michigan. The texting commenced, and plans were confirmed. Until everything came to a screeching halt with a devastating realization: we were making plans for a weekend less than 2 weeks away, but Shane's passport had expired a couple months ago and we hadn't gotten around to renewing it yet! 

Let the scrambling begin. We went to the Service Canada office the next day, who told us they couldn't process it that quickly and we'd have to go directly to a Passport Canada Office to get it done. The best one is in Scarborough, about 2 hours away. So Shane went up the next day, got the application in and was told it would be ready the following Wednesday (2 days before the trip). But of course, he's not able to go that day, so I went up and got it for him. This is all amidst kids soccer games, football games, meetings, work fun days, and regular life! Anyways, all is set. We will be on the road this afternoon, driving the 7 hours right after work. And we're very excited!! 

But seriously, check out Tallgrass Mead, it's Elaine's meadery, and they have some absolutely amazing products! Their flagship product, Honey Pops, is her take on a mead wine cooler, and is bubbly and delish. If you're ever in the London area, some of their products are available at a few restaurants

September 29, 2016

This week we were both feeling like something pink. Not sure what brought that on, but when things like that happen, you just have to go with it. We went a bit above our normal price range because none of the other pinks were calling our names. So Chandon Rosé it was. 

There was a strong strawberry scent on the popping of the top, along with a yeasty, sour scent. I thought it might have almost been a sour dough bready type deal, but Shane wasn't sure. In the glass there were oodles of bubbles, and they lasted the length of the bottle. Shane thought it had a dry finish, and I thought it had a dry start, so I guess it was dry. 

It had a bit of a bready flavour going on, along with something we couldn't quite id at first... The second glass brought notes of cranberries, and FrankenBerry Cereal (whatever that is... Shane gets that flavour every now and then, most recently back in July). 

I'll be honest, I wasn't sure if I liked this one right off the get-go. I didn't get much more than dry, and a flavour that was driving me crazy because I couldn't quite reach it. It would have been something that if someone said "it's _____" I would have known right away that they were right (or wrong), and it was very frustrating. By the third glass, I was quite enjoying it though, and I swear it's not because I'd been through two glasses already. Maybe it's because it was starting to warm up a bit? Anyways. By the end of it, we decided we liked it (or I did by the end of it, Shane liked it the whole time). 

I asked him if he liked it $15 more than our usual price range stuff and he said "I like it $15 more than our regular price range stuff lately". I guess we haven't been finding the spectacular ones lately. In any case, we're a bit divided on this one. I thought it was good, but not $35 good, he did. 

Have a great weekend! I know we will!!

~S

  • Brand: Chandon
  • Type of Grape: Chardonnay and Pinot Noir
  • Sweetness: 9g/L
  • Price: $33.95
  • Tasting Notes: Dry, bready scent, cranberry forward flavours. Would pair nicely slightly chilled with pumpkin pie, a fire and a blanket. 


No comments:

Post a Comment