Friday 6 May 2016

Licking Some Old Rocks

Look at those shoulders burning...
What a weekend we had here. The weather was all over the map, Saturday was gorgeous, so Shane and I were busy little bees outside, working in the gardens, on the lawn, and general tidy-up. Then we enjoyed the sunshine, and ended up getting a sunburn. Sunday was a dreary day, so it was building new bedroom furniture and then watching movies on the couch. Quite opposite days. But both productive. 

Tyson was less protective of our Garbage God Offering this week, so that was good, except that it means the Garbage God snuck up on him... he didn't like that so much. 

May 5, 2016 

This week we celebrated with Graham Beck's Zero. This was the bottle we had wanted to get last week but were steered away. So we snuck into the LCBO and were in and out so quickly our Champagne Guy didn't see us. Very sneaky. Not a good thing. Maybe if he had seen us, we wouldn't have ended up with this one... Which would have been a good thing. A piece of advice: If you ever get a Champagne Guy, use him and listen to him. We should have done that. We did not. 

In any case: Graham Beck's 2009 Brut Zero. On first sniff, it was quite dry (as the name would suggest), and quite minerally. There were lots of nice bubbles, and the colour was very pale. At first, it reminded me of our 30-40 wedding bubbly that we had made. I can't remember if I've written a post about that one... 

Anyways, I didn't really like this one right from the get-go. I don't like big mineral flavours, but I am trying to adjust my palate so I stuck with it. I'm trying to train it to like different flavours. Shane didn't find the minerality of it offensive... at first. Unfortunately, there was nothing else to taste in the wine, and so it became offensive to both of us. 

I wanted to like it, I tried to like it, but I just couldn't. I liked the previous Graham Beck we had a couple weeks ago, and wanted to like it's drier cousin, but I couldn't. And Shane couldn't either. I mean we finished it. It wasn't as bad as Sala Vive (which isn't saying much for it), but we wouldn't get it again, and in fact, we would try and steer others away from it. Just wasn't working for us. 

~S

  • Brand: Graham Beck
  • Type of Grape: Chardonnay, Pinot Noir
  • Sweetness: 4g/L
  • Price: $22.95
  • Tasting Notes: High in bubbles, high in minerals, not sure what it would pair with... Old cheese perhaps? 

No comments:

Post a Comment