Friday 5 February 2016

Gerard Bertrand Man Flu

Well, quite the week. Shane's got the Man Flu, so you can imagine how my week has been... just lovely. He's snored through a couple marathon evenings where I powered through several episodes of The Office. He says he was listening, but I must admit I find that hard to believe. Especially when I had to recap everything from after dinner to bedtime... Unfortunately, I woke up this morning with a sore throat... which was exactly how Shane's started... *cue ominous music*

Anyhow, I guess I should get started with the real reason we're all here. 


February 4, 2016

This week I had to go to the LCBO alone, and our Champagne Guy was busy with a real customer, so I picked this one solo... It was from the south of France, by Gerard Bertrand: Cremant de Limoux Brut, 2013 (the linked info sheet is for their 2012, I couldn't find their 2013). 

Shane thought this one was going to pop everywhere, so he insisted that the glasses be closer than normal. This didn't happen but at least we were prepared. Shane's dad thinks that this is how you know if it's a good bubbly, that it foams over the top on corking... 

(Note: With Shane having the Man Flu, his nose isn't working, so he is NOT very helpful this time)

On corking it smelled like stale vitamin C tablets, mixed with a dry white wine. It had a lovely straw colour, and appeared to have lots of bubbles. 

On the first sip, I got a huge amount of fruit flavours. There were strong notes of green apples and pears. I noticed a bit of a peachy aftertaste, but that might be reaching... There were lots and lots of bubbles, right through to the end of the bottle. It had a nicely mild acidy aftertaste, which is in fact nicer than it sounds.

We both did notice that we were a little burpy with this one... Not one to be shared on a first date. 

Verdict: It was okay, I liked the fruit and we might try it again, but it's not one to start your Champagne Thursday adventure on.

~S

  • Brand: Gerard Bertrand
  • Type of Grape: Not 100% sure about 2013, but the 2012 was Chardonnay, Chenin, Pinot Noir, and Mauzac 
  • Sweetness: 6g/L
  • Price: $19.95
  • Tasting Notes: Fruity flavours, notes of pears, apples and peaches. Would pair well with a creamy cheese, maybe a baked brie. 






No comments:

Post a Comment